Sunday, April 24, 2011

R's Art Retrospective

For awhile now, I've been saving artworks of R's that I've been meaning to photograph and post on here. Only, I haven't been taking the pictures. I've just been storing them on top of a secretary dresser we have in our living room.

Of late though it was getting REALLY cluttered up there, and in my pre-Easter cleaning before Grammie and Grampy came over for Easter dinner, I decided to once and for all go ahead and get the stuff cleared off. So here are some photos of artwork R produced between January and March.

These are the valentines cards that Grampy helped R make for J and I. They came out SO GOOD!
Right around Valentine's Day, R's assistant teacher in her class at day care moved to a different classroom. A lot of us were really sad about this, so one of her classmates arranged a play date with several of the other kids from the day care class along with the assistant teacher just before she moved. At the play date the kids all painted photo frames, colored on the back of puzzle pieces taken from those cheap 25-cent puzzles you can get, and glued them to the picture frames. Her teacher then wrote "I Love You to Pieces!" on these Valentine's photos she'd taken in the classroom the week before and put them in the frames. I LOVED it, what a great crafty idea! The picture was proudly displayed on our piano for awhile but I've had to take it down and I'm honestly not sure where it's going to go now.Now, THIS--oh man, I was so proud of R for this picture. The two photographs below represent the front and back of the same piece of paper. The first picture (the front) represents dwarves on their ponies riding up the mountain (a definite The Hobbit reference, for those not in the know. It is one of R's favorite books; J has read it to her all the way through at least three times now).
And this second photo (the back) represents the mountain and all the secret doors the dwarves build and/or find (that part was not altogether clear to me). The doors are represented by the series of Ps, Rs, and Os drawn on the paper.This piece was drawn when R was just starting to get into drawing people and faces and I just thought it was really really good! It's a princess (of course) and a prince.
I laughed when she brought this one home from school in mid-March. It's Santa Claus and his bag of toys!
Over the winter term J taught an evening class from 6-10 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays. On those evenings R missed him terribly. So we often wrote or drew things for him to pass the time. Here she's practiced her writing--she wanted to write him a letter and this is the entirety of the letter. She then added Toy Story stickers she received in her Christmas goody bag from one of her day care classmates.
and THIS, oh this remains one of my absolute favorite things R has ever drawn. The best pictures, in my mind, are those that are accompanied by vivid stories. This one was so good I tried to write down the story as R told it to us and explained what was in it.
The photograph below is my script of R's story of the picture, but I clearly missed a lot, since I only started scripting it on the third telling or so of what the picture was of. And since it's hard to read my handwriting, here's what it says:

"The princess is in the castle (the black-haired figure with the purple dress). The princess is looking out the window. There's a prince and a babysitter (in the lower right corner of the house). The bad guy is climbing up the steps but he's in a hole. (She had drawn the bad guy and then covered him with the black hole/cloud). That's the rainbow shed (said while pointing to the top of the page). This is a door. This is an open door. This is a not-locked door and this is a locked door." (Unfortunately I wrote this down sufficiently long ago that I no longer remember where all these doors are located in the picture).

No comments:

Post a Comment