Sunday, January 11, 2009

Forks

R's gotten very interested in eating utensils lately. She sometimes insists on having her own spoon in the morning while eating cereal. Unfortunately, because we always feed her hot cereal-- either Cream of Wheat or oatmeal-- we can't let her try eating it on her own. But sometimes I give her her own spoon and we trade off-- her giving me her empty spoon in exchange for the one loaded with cooled-down cereal that I hand her to feed herself.

In this video she's eating grapes with a fork. She tries to eat lots of things with her fork, not always successfully. But she's definitely got the hang of grapes and forks. This is great fun for her--and even more fun now that her Great Aunt K and Rapunzel gave her her own set of pink "purrfect" dishes (plate, bowl, cup, spoon, and fork) to use. I'm sure they will be appearing in mealtime pictures very soon!

4 comments:

  1. Do you think you will introduce her to chopsticks some day? I am hoping to teach Xander how to use them; although, I have no idea when a good age might be to introduce them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, great question! I will ask my friend M, whose husband is Japanese, what they are doing with their daughter. They may have already begun trying to teach her chopsticks (H is a week younger than R)... if they have already started then J and I will have to bust out our own sets of chopsticks and start practicing more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. anything with sticks you want to be careful of as they aren't coordinated enough not to hit themselves in the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, that's true, Anon-- she's definitely not ready for them yet. We have fake chopsticks with our Melissa & Doug sushi set that I take out and put away whenever we pull that set down since I don't trust her not to trip and fall or something with them.

    I asked M and she said that she wasn't exactly sure when they start with chopsticks in Japan, but that they usually start with spoons and then move to "training" chopsticks-- not sure what those are. Maybe just kid-size ones that are easier to coordinate?

    ReplyDelete