Wednesday, April 15, 2009

22 months

Dear R,

Hoo boy. 22 months. Going on two. I'm trying not to look too far ahead in the future since I want to really revel in who you are right now, but I often can't help but keep thinking, "I can't believe my baby is almost two!"

A week or so ago you told your first "story." We were reading a colors book that we've read a million times. Each color has a double-page spread, with one picture per page of something that fits the color. I was trying to read each color in order. "Yellow! Yellow Cheese! Yellow Duckling!" but you were having none of it. You wanted to flip to the end and look at the brown page. I kept flipping back to the beginning after a second or two of looking at the brown page, in an attempt to try and make it a little further through the book. But no-- you kept flipping back to brown. I couldn't tell at first whether the book was just randomly opening to brown, or whether you were purposefully wanting to look at the brown page. But then you said, clear as day-- your father heard you from across the room-- "Goat eat brown bread."

So there you have it. During your 22nd month, you "read" your first story out of a book.

"Goat eat brown bread."

I'll never forget it.

We've had a whirlwind of travel and visitors this month. Both sets of grandparents came down to stay with us, and we went to visit both sets of grandparents. You are head over heels for all of your grandparents, and get so incredibly excited when they come or when you get to see them.

One of the highlights of this month was definitely being able to visit with and see you interact with your cousins Little Frog and G and Trucker. You and G spoke your own little secret language while hanging out in Ohio at Grandma and Grandpa's. During dinner, the two of you would frequently look at one another and just laugh and laugh. Of course, the rest of us would kind of look around, and then we'd get caught up in your laughter too and before long we'd all be laughing. We can't wait to get you together with all of your cousins again as soon as possible.

Love,
Mama

1 comment: