Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day of Day Care

Today has been a pretty emotional day. I feel like I've been strung really taut and as I write this, sitting in bed with my laptop and loads of work to do, I'm starting to let go of some of the tension a bit. I was pretty stressed about RUS's first day of day care, for reasons that I can't quite pinpoint. Maybe a bit of guilt at paying a lot of money for other people to take care of my baby even though I know I have to work. There is also a certain amount of anxiety that I haven't thought through all the details and that I don't have everything I need lined up. Somehow, with RUS, maybe because he's not my "only" baby, I have a hard time feeling like I'm focused and that I really know what I'm getting myself into.

This whole time, in fact, I've felt somewhat blindsided by a lot of things that I was 100% totally and completely prepared for with R. For example, feeding solids. J actually had to persuade me that it was okay to start feeding RUS things other than breastmilk, and at every stage of the game I remember going, "wait, he's not ready for that yet, is he?" In contrast, with R, I was reading ahead in the baby books and anticipating everything before it even happened.

With RUS I feel like I'm always running from behind, trying to catch up to a train that's leaving the station.

Anyway. Today was his first day of day care. As far as I know, we didn't forget anything, other than that we can bring his tiger lovey in tomorrow (I cannot rave enough about these--many thanks to J's brother and sister-in-law for giving R her "giraffey" as she calls it--she's so attached to it I had to get one for RUS to have as well).

He did great! We haven't experienced one iota of separation anxiety with him, and he was happy as a clam when we left him this morning. The day care teacher was holding him and he was pointing every which way, and having a great time crawling around and exploring the toys in the room. He fell asleep rocking but woke up when laying down (J explained that we have no luck laying RUS down after he falls asleep--you've got to let him fall asleep on his own in his bed) but took a more successful afternoon nap. Ate great. Took his bottle great.

We had intended to pick him up "early" but he ended up spending pretty much a full day there.

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear things went well. No separation anxiety? That is really awesome. The separation anxiety just kills me sometimes. It's pretty much why Dolphin does the dropping off and I do the picking up.

    ReplyDelete