Things that make me think of Grandpa.
Popcorn.
Wood shavings.
Varnish.
Tractors.
Corn.
Plaid shirts.
Kittens.
Hodgepodge for dinner.
Homemade ice cream.
Things Grandpa loved.
Baseball.
Grandkids.
Being outside.
Freshly mowed grass.
Antique furniture.
Grandma.
Onion rings from Bishop's.
Grandpa taught me...
Patience.
Kindness.
Sensitivity.
Hugs.
Love.
Warmth.
Smiles.
I make these lists because there are just so many things I want to mention as I write this.
As a child, I spent a great many afternoons visiting Grandma and Grandpa where Grandpa would be outside with us kids: showing us something on the property, letting us ride on the tractor while he mowed the grass, picking fruit with us, watching us run around in the yard, ride bikes up and down the driveway, and play basketball in the turn-around. Or sometimes he and Grandma would just sit with us on the wooden swing and let us eat homemade ice cream and drink sugary grape soda.
So many of my memories of Grandpa involve him fixing things. He could fix anything, and he fixed everything. He repaired innumerable pieces of furniture that us kids destroyed over the years--chair backs that cracked, legs that broke from us tilting on chairs, tables that we fell on, cane chair seats that got saggy or droopy from years of us digging our knees in them. He even made furniture for us. I have a doll cabinet he made for me that I now use to display my good china in my dining room. I think he and my grandmother framed just about every picture on our walls. I remember vividly the time he came and helped my parents paint the entire outside of our house. He was tireless. Always working.
When he would relax, he enjoyed watching sports--cheering on my father's football teams or watching the Indians or Ohio State. Sometimes he'd make a huge pan of popcorn. Grandpa made the best popcorn in the entire world. There was nothing like it.
Growing up, Grandpa was always there, with a hug, a smile, and a willingness to listen. As I grew older, I felt lucky to have the opportunity to listen back as he shared stories of his own childhood and his family and of being in the Army during World War II. I especially loved hearing him talk about when he met Grandma.
Grandpa was gentle and kind with all of us, even when we were bad and he needed to give us a scolding. He set a high standard for patience and kindness towards others. Thanks so much, Grandpa, for everything. I'm going to miss you so much.
Love,
S
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That was beautiful, S.
ReplyDeleteThis describes grandpa perfectly. thanks so much!!
ReplyDelete